Coming Soon - Union Street Food Hall + Downtown 2nd Floor Living at 117 East Union Street
Historic Courthouse Square Project January Update
Progress is happening quickly on the Courthouse Square renovations, with the stage beginning to take sahpe and the historic rock wall being replaced around the square. A timeline of recent events is below.
- 1/4/21 Began pouring Green Street Sidewalk
- The Stone Mason started laying stone on The Green Street Wall
- Waterproofing contractor began work on building walls.
- Midstate continues to install new water lines.
- 1/7/21 More Green Street Sidewalk and Rock work completed.
- 1/11/21 Ash tree removed at the corner of Union and Sterling
- 1/13/21 Tree removed from South Green Street side across from Marquee Cinemas
Last updated 1/21/2021
Historic Courthouse Square Project November Update
Obviously the weather has been a major factor in the progress made over the last 2 weeks.
Regardless there has been progress made.
- First there seems to be much talk about the removal of the Senator Sam statue. Let me assure everyone that he is safely wrapped up and in the courthouse for safe keeping. The contractor was not comfortable with leaving him in place while work was done around him. Once work is complete the statue will be replaced back in the original location. (picture is attached of Senator Sam)
- I will also repeat that we will be putting back the rock wall on the Green Street Side. Once in ground services are in place on the sidewalk and then a concrete structure is built to retain the dirt wall, the original rock will then be laid back by an experienced rock layer
The Statue of Senator Sam is being safely stored while work on the square progresses.
Other items to date:
- Soil undercut was made
- Stone placement for footers in place
- Rebar installed
- Concrete footers poured 11/06
- Sidewalk electrical boxes to be installed
Over the next 2 weeks you will see a big difference once the walls for the stage area go up.
Last updated Nov. 6, 2020.
Historic Courthouse Square Project October Update
The square truly looks like a construction site these days! As with all early days in a project it is mostly for removal of items and the beginnings of infrastructure.
- 3 Renderings of the finished project were placed on the construction fencing on Green Street (across from the theater) and on East Union Street across from Benjamin's for all to see!
- Trees that were scheduled for removal have been taken down and most of them removed from the site. New trees will be planted in various areas but not necessarily in the same locations. Some trees had to be removed because of the new design and some because they were overgrown for the space.
- The Green Street rock wall has now been completely removed and the rock placed on palettes to be reused once the concrete masonry unit (CMU) wall is put in place. The CMU wall will hold the dirt in place and will not be seen once the rock wall is rebuilt.
- The steps leading to the Courthouse, on the Green Street side, across from the theater, have been removed to be rebuilt along with the wall.
- A bore under Meeting Street, to the other side of the street, was made to provide the entire square with underground utilities, eliminating unsightly overhead wires and poles. Contractors were able to do this without disruption to traffic flow.
- All Sternberg lighting poles have been removed in preparation for new sidewalks.
- Pavers were removed along the Green Street sidewalk and placed on palettes to be reused along Sterling Street with the new sidewalk.
- There will be new sidewalk poured beside existing pavers along Green Street to match the other sidewalks with pavers.
- A portion of the grading for the stage area was started in the southwest quadrant.
More information about this page is below.
Upcoming retail and apartment space for rent: Coming soon in 2021, a newly renovated retail space on the ground floor and apartment units on the upper level. Open up shop in this historic downtown Morganton building, conveniently located near the Courthouse Square and surrounded by restaurants and other retail businesses. 2600 square feet of soon to be completed renovated space ideal for retail business. The apartments upstairs will feature downtown living at its finest. Move to downtown Morganton and have boutiques, restaurants, night life, and vent experiences at your doorstep.
More information will be available closer to the availability of the building space.
FOR RENT: Ground level retail space available end of May 2021.
2700 square feet of retail space available in the center of downtown Morganton's West Union Street block. Rent is $900/month, utilities not included.
(Street & Public Parking areas adjacent)
FOR RENT: Upstairs offices - 2520 square feet.
Front (Suite A) office suites available. Suite A includes 7 rooms and 2 restrooms. Prices range from $450-$750/month, utilities not included. Rent is negotiable
(Street & Public Parking areas adjacent)
FOR RENT: Retail space available in downtown Morganton. 1884 square feet of open retail space in the front plus office space, restroom, and kitchenette space located in the rear.
Call 954-695-1886 for more informatoin.
(Street and Public Parking areas adjacent)
FOR SALE: Former Burke Pharmacy building and lot. This property is conveniently located in the downtown Morganton Central Business District, close to the History Museum of Burke County, Public Library, and amenities of downtown. The parking lot surrounding the building has over 40 parking spaces. The main level of the building is 6,400 square feet and the basement is also 6,400 square feet. There is a current tenant renting roughly 3,200 square feet of the basement level.
Tax Value: $1,200,000
For more information, contact Butch Duckworth at 828-291-6565
FOR SALE: Formerly occupied by the Allergy Partners of the Blue Ridge, this large commercial building and parking lot is available in downtown Morganton. Need commercial space in downtown? Need designated parking? This building has 8,000 square feet available for you plus a parking lot. Conveniently located on South Sterling Street, the property is in close proximity to downtown restaurants, art galleries, retail shops, and all that downtown Morganton has to offer.
Link to Burke GIS listing: http://taxweb.burkenc.org/CamaPWA/PropertySummary.aspx?PARCELPK=45167
Call 828-639-2233 for more information
(Public Parking and Parking Lot adjacent)
For RENT: upstairs office space available in the historic Ervin Building.
Office space is available for $350/month, includes Electric, Water, and WiFi. Front and Back Entrances, plus a separate private back entrance.
Call Richard Mode at 828-443-2901 for more information
(Street & public parking areas adjacent)
FOR SALE: Here is your opportunity to own a piece of downtown Morganton! This building at 406 S. Green Street would be a fantastic spot for office use, a retail boutique, a spa or massage parlor, or yoga studio! Buyer could add a small kitchen to create an amazing coffee shop, tea house, sandwich shop or creperie! The building layout is designed around a centrally located 4-faced fireplace, and this property would make an adorable in-town rental with the addition of a kitchen.
Sellars have updated electrical system and plumbing. New bathroom fixtures, lighting and other electrical features will be finished shortly after listing date.
Listing Price: Reduced! $127,900
For Sale: Great Commercial Opportunity for your business located in Downtown Morganton. Currently being used as Law Office. Featuring two offices, conference room, large waiting area, common area and bathroom. Access from front and rear of building. Parking Area in Back and also Street Parking in front. Corner Office Ready to Move into. 1200 square feet. Handicap Accessible.
List Price: $170,000
FOR SALE OR LEASE: Former attorney offic building for sale or lease in downtown Morganton. Building includes alcove, receptionist office, two small conference rooms, break area, three large offices with wood floors and ceiling fans. Building is wired for computer network and phone system. Includes three half-baths and one full bath. Large upstairs attic/storage area. Parking in front with ramp.
3850 Square Feet. Price: $220,000
Call Cecil Saunders at 828-430-9548
FOR RENT: 4 offices with Reception.
Contact Gresham Orrison with Hunting Creek Associates at 828-443-5225 or 828-433-8369